Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:49:56 -0700 (MST)

    > Isn't it possible for find-coding-system-region to work with a much
    > smaller amount of information?  For instance, it could use a list of
    > intervals (in the mathematical sense), saying that coding system FOO
    > handles character codes X through Y and A through B and C through D.
    > This would be far less information than the mapping table.

    Such a way is not that worth for many cpXXX coding systems.
    For instance, see this codepage (in codepage.el).

If it doesn't save much for cpXXX coding systems,
we don't have to use it for them.  It will save a large amount
for the Chinese-based coding systems.

    And, even if we adopt that way, such information is useful
    only for answering the question "Is this character encodable
    by this coding-system?".  To utilize that information in
    find-coding-system-region, we must look up such lists for
    ALL coding systems for all characters in the region.

Not necessarily.  That is not the only way to implement it.

Anyway, if we use this only for the large Han-character coding
systems, it should not be very slow, and it will get big savings.