Confusing naming of fringe i C-code

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Confusing naming of fringe i C-code
Date: 13 Nov 2001 00:19:23 +0100

I'm preparing to add customization of the fringe bitmaps, so I'm studying
the code related to the fringe.... Very confusing!

So far, I've come across several different names for the fringes:

`fringe' is primarily used on user visible symbols,

`bitmap' is used without explicit reference to the fringe, e.g. bitmap_type,
x_draw_bitmap, ...
This isn't wrong, but it would be clearer to use fringe_bitmap_type,
x_draw_fringe_bitmap, etc.

`bitmap area' is used in several comments, as well as in BITMAP_AREA_FACE_ID (=
fringe face)

`flags area' seems to be the favourite term throughout the code, e.g.
FRAME_FLAGS_AREA_WIDTH, FRAME_X_RIGHT_FLAGS_AREA_WIDTH, flags_areas_extra, ...

And then there are the mixed forms FRAME_FLAGS_BITMAP_WIDTH and
FRAME_FLAGS_BITMAP_HEIGHT.

Now that 21.1 is out, this would probably be a good time to clean this up.