Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:26:47 +0100

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:26:47 -0700 (MST), Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:

> I think if we want to do this in Emacs we should arrange for Emacs to
> do it automatically as part of redisplay.  It could show the line
> numbers in the display margins, and it should avoid altering the
> buffer contents in any way.

That'd be preferable from performance reasons, but wouldn't it be a
hack to support line numbering as a distinct feature, separate from
the current display property? If line numbering is not as good a use
of the margin as one can imagine, I don't know what is :)

Tying the line numbering with the redisplay raises customization issues
(the user might want to specify a format for the line number to get
zero-padded numbers or whatever, as setnu.el allows right now, or
perhaps counting only non-blank lines), and also print-related ones
(printing a numbered program listing seems like a useful thing to do).

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u