Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:59:31 -0700 (MST)

Yesterday I wrote that Compilation mode allowed sending input to the
compiler.  I made a very quick check before I said that, but not
thorough enough.  I have a strong recollection of working on changes
to make it possible to send input to the compiler, making it use
comint I think.  But it looks like that change was never installed.
It seems that SPC and DEL are already set in compilation-mode-map to
do scrolling.

Since sending input is not an existing feature, defining letters as
other commands would not actually break anything.  But sending input
to the compiler is a useful feature; one of you just asked for a way
to do it.  So I think it remains better to put special commands on
other keys, and make it possible to send input in a natural way.