Re: Please help developing Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please help developing Emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:00:04 -0700 (MST)

    But IMO I have seen other projects do this and they have done a great job at
    attracting the community.

I believe you--but I don't have time to talk with people who want
to help and don't know how.  Educating them is a useful thing to do,
but I can't do it.

If someone else who can do it wants to do it, it might be a good thing.

    Also.  Documentation that encourages non-developers to contribute
documentation
    and bug reports would be a good thing to see.

Why do you think we do not have this?  The Emacs manual includes a
large section teaching people how to send good bug reports.  How did
you go about looking for this, and come up empty?

As for contributing documentation, that is something only a few people
have learned how to do in any useful way.  Most hackers have a very bad
idea of how to write documentation.

    A main introductory page, with an index to the left which includes:

We're not going to have an "index to the left" because of our policy
that pages should look good in any browser.  But isn't that a minor
detail?  What is the really important issue here?

    - - user resources

        - screenshots

        - documentation

        - additional packages

    - - development resources

        - CVS

        - mailing lists

All of this would be good information to put into the Emacs pages.
We just need people to do it.  So if you would like to write it,
please go ahead.

    Is the gcc.gnu.org site a deprecated policy?

That causes frequent headaches, and I am very unhappy with it.

We were thinking of making FOO.gnu.org be an alias for
www.gnu.org/software/FOO for all values of FOO.  Unfortunately,
that runs into a snag on gcc.gnu.org.

    We could keep the current location working.  We would just redir to
    http://emacs.gnu.org

That's backwards--if we define emacs.gnu.org, it would redirect
to the place we want to keep our pages: www.gnu.org.

    I want to use the Apache .shtml inclusion mechanism.  This way I can have a
the
    navbar as one isolated file.

We can't use any Apache-only features, because we do not want to
require all our mirrors to run Apache.

Please refer to read our web server conventions in
http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html.