Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:55:28 -0500

> > Since sending input is not an existing feature, defining letters as
> > other commands would not actually break anything.  But sending input
> > to the compiler is a useful feature;
>
> Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't see how that can be useful
> for M-x compile in general.
>
> For the few occasions where it might be useful, using M-x shell
> should be sufficient.

Every once in a while someone comes up on gnu.emacs.help saying
that she started some compilation with M-x compile and the compilation
prompted the user for some input (a password, for example) and she
wants to know how to send that input to the process.

If we can make M-x compile use comint, then such problems won't show up.

tex-mode already uses a `tex-shell' (which derives from M-x shell) so that
the user can interact with the subprocess, so there is clearly a need
in some (arguably unusual) cases for interaction.

        Stefan

PS: I seem to remember a post on gnu.emacs.sources "recently" (i.e. in 2001)
    which provided such a "compile on comint" thingy.