Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:41:46 +0100

On 15 Nov 2001 00:33:58 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I can't understand that paragraph at all.

Fair enough.

> What are you trying to say?

Not just setnu.el and other elisp packages that try to put
line-numbers in the margin are (or could be) affected by the
performance problems derived from managing lots of overlays.

Any package that tries to put data in the margin on a line-by-line
basis (for example, the length of each line, or a mark to show if the
line is modified, or whatever) either sets the margin through the use
of overlays, or through text-properties. Neither form is convenient,
both can cause (I believe) slowdowns.

Although the margin is, by its own nature, line-oriented (I mean: it
is natural to think of it as something whose content is related to the
line situated at its right) its interface is text oriented. There is
no easy way to associate margin content with line content. The only
way is through text properties or overlays, whose relation with a
given line in the buffer can change each time the buffer is modified.

Better now?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u