Re: VC check-in and window configuration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC check-in and window configuration
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:09:44 -0500

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > > Why should `switch-to-buffer' make a window non-dedicated, but
> > > `bury-buffer' not?  How are they different?  I certainly use them both
> > > in a similar way...
> >
> > bury-buffer would as well (it internally calls switch-to-buffer, IIRC).
> > I.e. the above is not a no-op but it does restore the window layout.
>
> I'm confused -- if bury-buffer sets the window to `non-dedicated', then
> why would it `restore the window layout'?
>
> [If you start out with one window, then pop-to-buffer makes two.  When
> you say `restore the window layout', I assume you mean that it would
> get rid of the window resulting from the pop-to-buffer.]

Oh, sorry I see what you mean.  That's a problem indeed.
Right now, bury-buffer does delete the window if that window is dedicated.
I thought this would be generalized to also delete the window if it
is soft-dedicated.

But maybe that would not work so well with your use of bury-buffer.
Hmm....
We might then need to create a new `hide-buffer' so as to preserve
the same semantics for bury-buffer...

        Stefan