Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:53:49 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>> Ok, let's see it the other way around: *anything*, not just
>> line-numbering, that pretends to put something in the margin for each
>> line, must now go either by the text-property or the overlay route.
>> That's not (IMHO) a good interface to using the margin.
>
> I'm sorry, but I can't understand that paragraph at all.  What are you
> trying to say?

I think Juanma is trying to say two things: If we want to use the
display margin in order to display something on each line, we have two
appropriate.  Therefore, first first question is: How can something be
displayed on each line?  RMS seems to think that the only appropriate
solution is on the display level, ie. C.  The next point Juanma is
raising here, I think, is this: If we cannot use the display margin to
display something on each line from the lisp level -- what use is
lisp access to the display margin.  I guess he'd like to see some
examples of good use of the display margin.

Anyway, that's how I understand it and the points seem valid enough --
if Juanma didn't intend to ask the above questions, then I intend to.
:)

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/