Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:13:42 +0100

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:53:49 +0100, Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think Juanma is trying to say two things: If we want to use the
> display margin in order to display something on each line, we have two
> appropriate.

Right, thanks.

> The next point Juanma is
> raising here, I think, is this: If we cannot use the display margin to
> display something on each line from the lisp level -- what use is
> lisp access to the display margin.

Exactly! All I'm trying to say is:

I want to assign to the margin

1.- any kind of data (not just line numbers)
2.- on a line by line basis
3.- efficiently
4.- from the lisp level
5.- with an interface that does not include lots of overlays or, worse
yet, text-properties (which implies modifying the buffer)

> I guess he'd like to see some
> examples of good use of the display margin.

Actually, I think that line-numbering, and marks to show state for the
line (if it is modified, or has overstepped the margin, etc.) are good
uses. What I'm not seeing is good uses of the current interface to the
margin.

> Anyway, that's how I understand it and the points seem valid enough --
> if Juanma didn't intend to ask the above questions, then I intend to.

;)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u