Re: buffer-substring vs. buffer-substring-no-properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: buffer-substring vs. buffer-substring-no-properties
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:36:02 -0700 (MST)

    (format "%s" ...) in emacs 20.7 removes font info.  In 21.1 it does
    not.  This, not buffer-substring, is hosing me.

We made this change deliberately, thinking of it as repairing something
broken.  The idea is that colors, fonts, etc. should not be lost.

Right now the recommend way to eliminate text properties from a string
is to use set-text-properties.  Perhaps we need to create a more
convenient way.