Re: buffer-substring vs. buffer-substring-no-properties

From: Kevin Layer
Subject: Re: buffer-substring vs. buffer-substring-no-properties
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:42:55 -0800

>>     (format "%s" ...) in emacs 20.7 removes font info.  In 21.1 it does
>>     not.  This, not buffer-substring, is hosing me.
>>
>> We made this change deliberately, thinking of it as repairing something
>> broken.  The idea is that colors, fonts, etc. should not be lost.

I said in a later reply that I thought format was more for human
readable formatted output, and if this is the case (that's a big
`if'), then the change doesn't make sense to me.

>> Right now the recommend way to eliminate text properties from a string
>> is to use set-text-properties.  Perhaps we need to create a more
>> convenient way.

set-text-properties is perfectly fine.  I was bothered by the
incompatible change and the fact that all my users that upgrade to
21.1 will see their emacs-lisp interface broken.  The method of the
fix doesn't bother me at all.