Re[2]: doc-strings in src/ and the first line

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: doc-strings in src/ and the first line
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:03:19 -0500

>>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>    I tend to agree.  But what I meant to say was that such a tool should run
>    during a build automatically, to alert us to any problems we leave
>    behind.
>
>That is a reasonable idea--something in the makefile could
>run checkdoc, etc.  However, I think there are some problems
>remaining in checkdoc; they would need to be fixed, to make
>this sort of thing acceptable.
  [ ... ]

As the original author, I know that one problem is that it is tied
closely to being in an Emacs Lisp buffer.  Another problem deals with
the interactive nature.  Interactively ignoring an error in a doc
string prevents searching for additional possible problems.

I searched around once, and posted a question to a newsgroup on how to
possibly link the byte compiler to produce checkdoc warnings for bad
doc-strings at compile time but came up empty.  Is that the sort of
project you are thinking of?  If someone has some pointers I'd be
happy to try and make it go.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden