Re: doc-strings in src/ and the first line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: doc-strings in src/ and the first line
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:42:35 -0700 (MST)

    As the original author,     I know that one problem is that it is tied
    closely to being in an Emacs Lisp buffer.  Another problem deals with
    the interactive nature.

I seem to recall that the rules it checks are not exactly the right
rules.  It would be useful for someone to take a look at that, to
compare it with the Documentation Tips appendix and with normal
practice.  Run checkdoc on some files in Emacs; are the problems it
reports really wrong?

    I searched around once, and posted a question to a newsgroup on how to
    possibly link the byte compiler to produce checkdoc warnings for bad
    doc-strings at compile time but came up empty.

I hadn't thought of that, but it seems like an idea worth trying.