Re: Language environments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Language environments
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:31:40 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Should we make a systematic effort to add language environments for
> lots of languages?

Maybe.  Currently, by far the only difference between the various Latin-1
language environments is the default input method.  Isn't this a waste?
(And what if someone wants a French language environment but with Latin-9
charset as the default?)

Personally, I was surprised that the menu-bar item for "Emacs Tutorial
(choose language)..." depended on the list of known language
environments (via read-language-name).  Isn't it better to just look at
etc/TUTORIAL.* and work from there?

I think we should revisit all the places where read-language-name is
used, and see what is it used for, and likewise for the other uses of the
language info.  Only then it will be clear whether adding more languages
is a Good Thing.