Re: "Encoded-kbd"

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: "Encoded-kbd"
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:32:34 +0900 (JST)

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>>  How about something shorter, like "EnKb"?

> Please, just get rid of it!

I tend to agree, and I'll repeat that it was the consensus
of long time ago.

How about, instead of using mode-name, showing the mnemonic
of the current keyboard coding system as the same way as
using Emacs on terminal.  Then, it occupies just one column
and users can see which coding system is begin used for
keyboard.

Currently we have this code in decode_mode_spec (in xdisp.c).

        if (! FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))
          {
            /* No need to mention EOL here--the terminal never needs
               to do EOL conversion.  */
            p = decode_mode_spec_coding (keyboard_coding.symbol, p, 0);
            p = decode_mode_spec_coding (terminal_coding.symbol, p, 0);
          }

Changing it to show keyboard coding system also on X is
quite easy.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden