Re: Customize fringe widths

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize fringe widths
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:38:33 -0700 (MST)

    > Either way, the work of writing the code to display
    > truncation/continuation glyphs under X will be basically the same.  So
    > that is not an argument for either choice.

    I agree.  And it seems to me that, compared to the work of writing the
    code which actually displays those glyphs, the effort needed to add a
    simple toggle which controls that is small.

But that is not the relevant comparison, or event the relevant issue.
The question is whether this option is useful enough to justify the
cost in complexity of documenting it in the manual.

    > Are you suggesting that an X-frame with no fringes should not indicate
    > truncation or continuation at all?  That would be simpler, I agree.
    > Is it what users want when they eliminate the fringes?

    IIRC, at least some of the users indicated that they don't see the
    glyphs in the fringe as useful, and that that's why they wanted to
    turn the fringe off.

The question is what feature is needed.  If turning off the fringes
means that truncation and continuation are not indicated, will that
feature do the job?