Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the men

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the menu face
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:44:17 -0700 (MST)

    If by ``invariable'' you mean that Emacs cannot change them, then this is
    not true: we do change them by putting resources into the xrdb database.

By the ultimate defaults, I mean the ones that would be used when the
user and the application do not specify any colors.  Emacs can override
these but it cannot change them.

    If you mean that the ultimate defaults are constant and thus known in
    advance, then I guess that's true, but I don't know where to get the
    values of those defaults.

You could start Emacs without any specifications for these colors
and see what you get.  If the ultimate defaults are invariable,
this will show you what they are.