Re: ispell language per buffer, not for all buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ispell language per buffer, not for all buffers
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:44:19 -0700 (MST)

    > Restarting Ispell if it was last used with a different dictionary does
    > not seem too hard, and should be reasonably efficient most of the
    > time.

    I think restarting Ispell each time the user switches buffers is not a
    good idea,

My suggestion was to restart only when the dictionary is different,
not each time the user switches buffers.

    since doing so loses the ``spelling history'': the words you
    told Ispell to accept and maybe also those you told Ispell to insert into
    the private dictionary.

Maybe it could save the private dictionary, but it will lose the
temporarily accepted words.

Alternatively, we could have one Ispell process for each dictionary
that is in use.  That is far more efficient than one Ispell process
per buffer.  For most users who use Ispell it would require just one
Ispell process.