Re: directory-sep-char

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: directory-sep-char
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:16:07 -0500

> After bitter experiences fixing elisp files only to discover that
> `directory-sep-char' was deprecated, I'd like to know if it's ok to
> apply this patch and then go over the following files

Is it really obsolete ?
How does the MacOS port deal with / in file names ?

> lisp\comint.el
> lisp\dos-w32.el
> lisp\files.el
> lisp\ielm.el
> lisp\pcomplete.el
> lisp\simple.el
> lisp\speedbar.el
> lisp\uniquify.el
> lisp\eshell\em-cmpl.el
> lisp\eshell\em-dirs.el
> lisp\eshell\em-glob.el
> lisp\eshell\em-unix.el
> lisp\eshell\esh-ext.el
> lisp\eshell\esh-util.el
> lisp\eshell\esh-var.el
> lisp\gnus\gnus-score.el
> lisp\mail\feedmail.el
>
> substituting ?/ for directory-sep-char.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea.
I recently changed uniquify.el to work on non-Unix systems and it doesn't
rely on directory-sep-char for correctness, but it does use it to
display paths in the "native" format.

I don't know how important it is (I actually don't use non-Unix systems),
but I think it's worth considering whether Emacs should try to
display paths in unix style or in native style.

        Stefan