Changes in the menu bar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:19:24 +0200 (IST)

This change:

   2001-11-25  Sam Steingold  <address@hidden>

        * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-apropos-menu): New variable.
        Moved all `apropos' bindings to this menu.
        (menu-bar-help-menu): Added `menu-bar-apropos-menu'.

is an extremely non-trivial change in the user interface.  IIRC, nothing
of the kind was ever discussed here.  By contrast, the menu-bar
configuration in Emacs 21.1 was discussed at length, and I really fail to
understand how could it be silently changed without saying at least
something about the reasons.  As someone who did most of the work on the
current menu-bar configuration, it frustrates the heck out of me to see
it undone without any notice.

I'd suggest that in the future, non-trivial UI changes be not undertaken
without discussing them first.

As for this change, is it possible to know the reasons for it now?