Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm en

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm ent delimiter after the new line.
Date: 25 Nov 2001 19:52:51 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> Right now, M-j does pretty much the same thing as the line breaking
> of do-auto-fill except for:
>
> 1 - it doesn't obey comment-line-break-function
> 2 - it doesn't obey adaptive-fill-prefix
>
> I actually find both differences annoying.  So how about a new
> function to bind to M-j:

I think it's a good idea.

> (defun fill-here ()
>   "Force soft line break at point, like auto-filling would do.
> Break line at point, preserving any fill prefix and continuing comment
> if we are inside a comment."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((comment-auto-fill-only-comments nil)
>       (fill-prefix fill-prefix))
>     ;; Choose a fill-prefix automatically.
>     (when (and adaptive-fill-mode
>              (or (null fill-prefix) (string= fill-prefix "")))
>       (let ((prefix
>            (fill-context-prefix
>             (save-excursion (fill-backward-paragraph) (point))
>             (save-excursion (fill-forward-paragraph) (point)))))
/.../

Not that it's really related, but I'd like a more general interface
here so that it's possible to plug in a replacement for
fill-context-prefix. The use of fill-{backward|forward}-paragraph by
the caller is a bit useless then, since those functions aren't likely
to do the right thing in these cases (e.g. in a C comment surrounded
by code). The check on adaptive-fill-mode is also not extension
friendly.