Re: insert-string and Emacs Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: insert-string and Emacs Lisp
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:27:45 -0700 (MST)

    In many of these files, it can be replaced by insert, because it is used
    as:

            (insert-string string)

    Should I check each case and convert it into insert or do we have any
    plans with insert-string?

In those places where `insert' will work, it is cleaner to use
`insert'.  So if you'd like to change those places, that would be good
to do.

We can't remove the function `insert-string', though.  If this many
files in Emacs use it, lots of user code must also use it.

We might want to mark `insert-string' obsolete, and say people should
use `format' and `insert' to convert a number and insert it.  But I am
not sure of that.  Maybe we should simply leave it alone.