Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: 25 Nov 2001 19:37:06 -0500

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: Changes in the menu bar"
> * Sent on Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:38:38 +0200
> * Honorable "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> > Date: 25 Nov 2001 12:52:37 -0500
> >
> > IMO, "apropos" and "describe" are _very_ different paradigms, and
> > mixing them is wrong.  I thought they were put together accidentally.
> > All I did was separate the "apropos" items from the "describe" items.
>
> You also added a couple of items that were not there.

you are quite observant :-)

>   - Is it possible to find a more self-explanatory name than
>     "Apropos", for the top-level menu item leading to this submenu?

"find feature"?

>     I'm afraid "Apropos" won't ring a bell with many newbies, and we
>     want them to use these features a lot.

I don't think of "Apropos" as a "newbie" feature.
(as opposed to "Describe")

>   - The item "Apropos symbol" should IMHO be renamed to something
>     more clear.  ``Symbol'' is not something new users would grasp.

"symbol" is only one (out of 5) options, and by the time the user will
get there, he will likely know the ropes.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>