Re: directory-sep-char

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: directory-sep-char
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:40:35 -0500

> '/' is a valid character in Mac OS file and directory names.  ':' is
> used as separator so the emulation code exchanges ':' for '/' and vice
> versa.  So on the Mac OS, Emacs still thinks it's using '/' as
> separator and displays pathnames in Unix style.  So that's not an
> issue.

How does it deal with file names taken "from outside" when `:'
is the directory separator ?
For example when the filename comes from a grep-like output ?
Should compile.el (and diff-mode.el and some more I'm sure) call
a conversion routine to turn "external file names" into their internal
format ?

        Stefan