Re: directory-sep-char

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: directory-sep-char
Date: 26 Nov 2001 09:00:21 +0800

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> How does it deal with file names taken "from outside" when `:' is
> the directory separator ?  For example when the filename comes from
> a grep-like output ?  Should compile.el (and diff-mode.el and some
> more I'm sure) call a conversion routine to turn "external file
> names" into their internal format ?

There is only very limited support for subprocesses on Mac OS Classic
(version 9 and earlier).  Each Unix program needs to be ported
individually.  At one point I made hexl.c work as an example.  But
that was about it.

There are a few places where the different styles in pathnames are
visible and a conversion is necessary.  Thus the Lisp functions
`mac-file-name-to-posix' and `posix-file-name-to-mac'.

There's no problem for the version that runs on Mac OS X (I have yet
to find time to commit the changes for it), which has much better
support for processes, because on Mac OS X, programs such as grep
output pathnames Unix style.