Re: comint-last-output-overlay -- overlapping overlays

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint-last-output-overlay -- overlapping overlays
Date: 26 Nov 2001 11:51:25 +0900

Hi, I looked at the `overlapping overlays with ansi-color' problem
again, since Stefan fixed a bug that made my test case hang emacs.

I did:

   M-x ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on

   M-: (setq comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields t)

      [this prevents comint from creating any `field' overlays, so in
      fact the only overlays in the comint-buffer are non-overlapped
      overlays created by ansi-color.el, and the prompt/command-line
      highlighting overlays -- but none of these overlap]

   M-x shell

and then I typed `ls --color /dev' into the shell buffer.

The result: redisplay is still dog slow, and feels basically the same as
it does when I turn comint field support back on.  [I'll note that it's
not really unusably slow on my system, just slow enough to be annoying
whenever I do single-line scrolls or something]

So it seems that the redisplay problems aren't really due to overlapping
overlays, but simply the presence of _lots_ of overlays in close
proximity (like the every-file-name-has-one case of `ls --color /dev').

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.