Re: indian.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: indian.el
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:37:06 -0500 (EST)

   I think `indian.el' is the wrong name.  Shouldn't it be `indic.el'?
   It has nothing to do with American's indians...

You have entered a hot and fiery discussion .... :-)

In the US, `Indian' is often and confusingly understood to mean either
indigenous Americans or people from southern Asia.

The confusion has occurred often enough that many people now refer to
`Red Indians' as `native Americans'.  Unfortunately, this latter
expression excludes those of us who are native, but whose ancestors
came by ship from Europe.  A good friend of mine prefers to refer to
herself as `indigenous', rather than as a `native American' or
`American Indian'.

Incidentally, she has reminded me that the word `America' comes from
the name of a European explorer.

At the 500th anniversary of Colombus voyage to the `new world',
various indigenous people sold T-shirts with the statement on it:

    1491: the last good year

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com