Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:27:38 +0200 (IST)

On 27 Nov 2001, Miles Bader wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Because if a user cannot understand what the menu item does, she might
> > decide against using it in the first place.
>
> I don't that's the way people think when they're browsing the menus --
> that is, they don't think `I want to use regexps', they think `I watch
> search for something'.

Yes, they say "I want to search for something", and then try to correlate
that wish with what they see in the menu.  For each menu item, they are
asking themselves: will this item allow me to do what I want?  I want to
give them as much info as possible to make a decision.

> In any case, I think the people looking will fall into two classes:
> (1) experienced users, who will know that most such things in emacs use
> regexps, and (2) novices, who won't even know to ask the question.

I'm thinking about the latter kind.