Re: indian.el

From: Muthukrishnan, Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: indian.el
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:01:36 +0530

"KAWABATA, Taichi" wrote:

> Yes, but as far as I traveled the india, many people say they are
> "Indian languages", but rarely "Indic (languages)"....  When used as
> noun, surely `Indic' only means Asian Indian languages and `Indian'
> means both American and Asian Indians.  So there would be less
> confusion by using "Indic", but from my perspection, `Indic' is more
> formal and uncommon.
>
> As you know, there is well-known sites such as
> `http://www.indianlanguages.com', and Apple sells their own "Indian
> Language Kit", etc..  so I thought "Indian" seems more natural, but I
> also admit that "Indic" is more precise description for Asian Indian
> languages.  Thus, if many people agrees, I have no problem changing
> everything from `indian' to `indic'.  But before that, I would like to
> ask for a comment for Mr. Muthukrishnan, about which of "indian" and
> "indic" is better to describe Asian Indian languages.

Yes, I completely agree with you. Though "Indic" seem to be technically
correct, everyone use "Indian". Even CDAC (Center for Development of
Advanced Computing) which developed the word processor "Leap" uses the
phrase "Indian language computing". So I feel "indian" is Ok. "Indic" is a
bit formal..

Thanks
--
Ramakrishnan M     WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/
"The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power