Re: MAINTAINERS file and .el files?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file and .el files?
Date: 27 Nov 2001 16:53:19 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> But we don't have _any_ definition whatsoever.  I think we should have
> one, otherwise I'm afraid we will be stepping on each other's toes
> before long.

I don't really think a `definition' is necessary, or even that useful.

I feel I have pretty good intuition about when it's necessary to ask
before making a change, and I'd guess that most of the other emacs
hackers do too (though of course everyone occasionally screws up).

Of course, a newcomer won't have the experience to know -- but for
them, I think it suffices to say `when in doubt, ask'.  By doing this,
they'll soon get a feel for things.

I guess this sort of model won't work if the number of people directly
hacking on emacs gets too large, but I'd say we should deal with that
problem when it actually is one.

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page