Re: table.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: 27 Nov 2001 20:27:54 +0900

> I think format 2 looks nicer.  But if we want to use that format
> generally, we have to find a way to implement it in the functions that
> add a default to a user-supplied prompt.  This way needs to be clean,
> reliable, and upward-compatible.  We can't change all the calls
> to those minibuffer functions.

I'd just change it so that if the last non-whitespace character in the
user-supplied prompt is `:' or `?', then it inserts the (default foo)
before that character, otherwise simply append like it does now.

The only possibly common case that might run afoul of such an approach
is prompt that already contain a parenthesized expression before the
final colon, like apropos `Foo (regexp): ', which would be transformed
into  `Foo (regexp) (default foo): ' -- which is not pretty, but it's
still readable...

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'