Re: ELisp Intro manual added

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: ELisp Intro manual added
Date: 27 Nov 2001 22:26:48 +0000

"Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> writes:

> I downloaded both
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs-lisp-intro-2.00.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/elisp-manual-21-2.7a.tar.gz
> and am preparing to use them with a class.  The first thing I discovered
> is that neither includes the dir file.  Without the dir file, and without
> specifically adding the pathnames to Info-default-directory-list, C-h i
> won't find them.
>
> Is there a reason why dir is not included?  If not can you add it to both?

The dir is not included, because usually you would put them into a
directory that already contains a dir file (such as /usr/local/info/
on Unix systems).

>From Emacs 21.2, the elisp-intro and elisp-manual will be distributed
with Emacs, so I would suggest putting them in the emacs-21.1 info
directory, and editing the dir file in there. Note that dir files are
sensitive to whether you use tabs or spaces in some places, so the
best thing to do is copy an existing entry and modify it.

--
Jason Rumney