Re: transient-mark-mode: change default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode: change default
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:31:26 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Reto Zimmermann wrote:

> I was wondering why the default for `transient-mark-mode' is nil.

Because too many Emacs users loath that mode.

> I guess most users (especially the novice users) would prefer the
> more common behavior of `transient-mark-mode' but are not even aware
> of this switch.

My experience is the opposite: users who want this feature always find
it.  We put it on the Options menu-bar menu, to make it easier.

> Also, the new command `comment-dwim' - which is a very powerful
> commenting command for which I was always looking for - only works for
> `transient-mark-mode' turned on.

You mean, it comments-out the region if transient-mark-mode is turned
on, right?  Because otherwise comment-dwim works for me even without
transient-mark-mode.

> How about changing the default for `transient-mark-mode' to non-nil?

I couldn't disagree more.  I think we will alienate gobs of veteran
Emacs users.