Re: transient-mark-mode: change default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode: change default
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:25:21 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> How about if C-x C-x does
> not set mark-active (and C-u C-x C-x activates the mark) ?

That'd be better, I guess, but note that there are other activities which
set mark-active.  For example, if I drag the mouse and then, without
moving point, type "C-s", the entire text intil the first search hit is
highlighted.

> Basically, I think that even people who dislike transient-mark-mode
> might appreciate the ability to explicitly pass a region as
> an argument (so that M-; behaves differently, as well as a slew
> of other commands).

I always thought that the ability to highlight portions of text and then
operate on them should be independent of the Emacs region.  But that's a
different discussion.