Re: transient-mark-mode: change default

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode: change default
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:51:00 +0200

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:00:01 -0800, Reto Zimmermann <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I always thought that the ability to highlight portions of text and then
> > operate on them should be independent of the Emacs region.  But that's a
> > different discussion.
>
> Maybe I didn't get the basic concept, but that's confusing to me.  So
> what's the difference between a "portion of text to operante on" and a
> "region"?  Which commands work on which one?

I think what he really meant was "independent of the (point)". Like
my system of marks which may be in any place in the buffer and in any
buffer (not just the the current buffer). For example you can mark a
region of lines, and AFTER you started to work on an another buffer
you can move the marked area to this buffer (both buffers change
simultaneously - in contrast to cut now, paste later).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign