Re: byte-compiler emacs-18 compatibility mode should be removed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: byte-compiler emacs-18 compatibility mode should be removed
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:25:34 -0500

>     By the way, why should the byte-compiler have any backward compatibility
>     whatsoever ?
> For the sake of people who use both versions.

But what about my other argument which says that incompatibilities
will show up because of macros, even if the byte-compiler emits
valid byte codes.
When I need something to work on Emacs-20, I just byte-compile
it with Emacs-20.

> I have learned over years experience that it is unwise to rely on
> theoretical arguments that "We don't need to keep supporting that".

I was rather wondering why this "backward compatibility feature"
was introduced in the first place.  Now that it's here, we have to
deal with it, of course.

        Stefan