Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:42:38 -0600

I've committed the new `isearch-yank-char' function to isearch.el;
this feature is similar to C-w and C-y in isearch, except it yanks
just one char at a time, instead of a word or a whole line.

It is not bound to any key right now.  I proposed binding it to C-o,
but Richard thought that while it's worthwhile to make the function
available, it's not widely useful enough to bind it by default.

I'd like to convince him otherwise :-), but we need more data here.
In my experience, the binding is tremendously useful when working with
input methods that require multiple keystrokes to enter a single char.
I theorize that Richard never edits in such languages, and therefore
has never experienced the pain of isearching without yank-char in
those environments.

However, the fact that I personally find it useful is not enough -- to
be worth binding, it should be useful to many people.

So could other people who use use complex input systems please give
this a try and see what you think?

   cvs update lisp/isearch.el, load it, and eval this:

   (defun my-isearch-mode-hook ()
     ;; Or some other key, doesn't have to be C-o...
     (define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-o" 'isearch-yank-char))
   (add-hook 'isearch-mode-hook 'my-isearch-mode-hook)

Or if you've already been using it, please post saying whether or not
it makes a difference in your editing.

-Karl