Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)
Date: 29 Nov 2001 12:11:07 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

|> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
|>
|> > However, since C-c is used as a prefix for mode- and user-defined
|> > bindings, it's impossible to say this is always the case.
|>
|> Of course.  I just claimed that when I use those mode- and
|> user-defined commands, I'm rarely in isearch mode.
|> Comparatively speaking, I use C-o to open a line while in
|> isearch mode more often.
|>
|> > I think it's a bad idea to rebind a prefix key for this
|> > purpose.
|>
|> Perhaps.  How about C-i (TAB)?  Currently, C-i in isearch
|> mode searches for TAB.  I didn't know that.  I have been
|> doing C-q C-i for that.

I've been using TAB in isearch much more often that C-o (in fact, I use
C-o very rarely).  I don't think we can get an agreement here.  But we
should look at it from a newbie's point of view (the more experienced
people will just rebind it).  Sadly, all control characters are already
used up for usefull functions.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
address@hidden                          completely different."