Re: table.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:19:53 -0700 (MST)

    >     I agree that a change to read-from-minibuffer might introduce
problems.
    >     That wouldn't bother me, but I won't try to push for it.
    >     Instead, we could simply provide a new function which provides the
    >     "standard" behavior and tell people that they should use that one
    >     instead of read-from-minibuffer.
    > This will tend to cause unnecessary user-code incompatibility.

    How could it introduce any incompatibility ?

If people use it, as you hope they will, their code will be
incompatible with old Emacs.  This is a recipe for making lots of
work for various people, including some for me.

My decision is to leave this unchanged.  There are more important
things for us to do.