Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: 29 Nov 2001 17:31:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > I think it is an unnecessary annoyance to ask for the term in the
> > minibuffer--especially since it does not have a list of which terms
> > are available, so it can't offer any convenience such as completion.
> > It would be better just to go to the glossary and let the user
> > search manually.
>
> But that would make the "Lookup in Glossary" item inconsistent with the
> two other "Lookup" items right near it, which look up subjects in the
> indices of the Emacs and ELisp manuals.  Isn't it better to be
> consistent here?

I think it would make (some) sense if entering an empty string (just
hit RET) would simply open the Glossary (or Index).

I.e. add
        ((= (length regexp) 0) t)
at the beginning of the cond.

> As for completion, I considered adding it, but then dropped the idea,
> since I cannot be sure that the string they will type is necessarily a
> separate entry in the Glossary.  Also, the other two Lookup items don't
> offer completion, either (although this will probably change soon).

How do you make completion on a regexp ?
Also, people are likely to look up things they really don't know for sure
what is called - so completion is achieved by hitting RET...