Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:40:43 -0500

I just did

        ln -s ../../elisp/url/lisp emacs/lisp/url

and then tried out (url-setup-file-name-handler).
I had just refreshed elisp/url/lisp from the trunk of the CVS repository.
It worked nicely, but not quite perfectly:

        emacs -q --no-site-file
        M-: (url-setup-file-name-handler) RET
        C-x C-f http://www.janik.cz/tmp/emacs-21.1.50-remove_mocklisp.diff RET
        ...hmmm...still displaying the "contacting www.janik.cz:80"...
        C-g
        C-x C-f http://www.janik.cz/tmp/emacs-21.1.50-remove_mocklisp.diff RET
        ...this time it worked!
        ...browsing the diff...
        ...suddenly I kept getting wrong-type-argument errors...
        Options -> Enter Debugger on Error
        ...now I get the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  directory-file-name(nil)

make-directory("http://www.janik.cz/tmp/home/monnier/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/";
t)
  apply(make-directory