Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:17:52 -0700 (MST)

    > If it were many images, what's the effect of calling clear-image-cache?

    clear-image-cache worked!  And garbage-collect did nothing.

It looks like we need to arrange to clear some images automatically
some of the time.  Gerd, do you have any ideas?

One idea is to record the time at which each image was last displayed,
and get rid of any image that has not been displayed in 10 minutes.
I don't know if this is really feasible in the code as it is written.
Gerd, what do you think?  Any advice?