Re: Different width face in code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Different width face in code
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:03:43 -0700 (MST)

      I thought it would be nifty to set font-lock-comment-face to be
    slightly smaller than the default font so I could pack more comments
    onto the screen, and found that multi-line comments in C code cause
    the secondary lines to be pulled toward the left margin some.

I am not sure what that means--could you explain more precisely?

      This makes perfect sense since the spaces are now smaller than those
    on the previous line.  Would it make sense for the display engine to
    optionally display or calculate the indentation spaces based on the
    default font width instead of that of the inserting spaces?

I am not really sure what that means either.

Please note that currently the indentation functions always think in
terms of columns; they were never converted to know about variable
widths at all.  I've been asking for someone to do it.  Would someone
like to do it?