Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: 30 Nov 2001 15:15:17 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> I'm not sure I understand.  `substitute-in-file-name' does always
> look for file-name-handlers.  But URL's file-name handler doesn't
> match "/foo/http://blabla";.

Oh, I see now.

> Of course URL could add a file-name-handler that matches
> "/[a-z]+:/" (i.e. without anchoring with \`) specifically for
> `substitute-in-file-name'.

Hmmm, I guess that would work; is there any practical problem having
multiple file-name handlers for single use?

Also, how would that interact with the heuristic you want to add to
prefer the longest match when selecting a handler to use (did you add it
yet)?

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo