Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1

From: Daniel Ortmann
Subject: Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1
Date: 30 Nov 2001 19:49:21 -0600

address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:

>> One idea is to record the time at which each image was last
>> displayed, and get rid of any image that has not been displayed in 10
>> minutes.  I don't know if this is really feasible in the code as it
>> is written.  Gerd, what do you think?  Any advice?

> Incidentally, what you describe is already implemented and exactly the
> way you proposed: clear_image_cache is called from redisplay,
> indirectly, when it clears the face cache, and clears images that
> haven't been displayed for 30 minutes.

> Maybe it suffices if that time is simply made shorter.  Or maybe one
> could implement another idea: record where the image was displayed,

Gerd, I did not "display" _any_ images; I merely process-marked them and
pressed "o" to download them.

1) I suspect that the "display" code is activated in download contexts
   where "image-cache-eviction-delay" is not used.

2) Is it possible that display-oriented activity is happening
   unnecessarily in "o" download contexts?

In case it matters, my custom-set-variables contains:
 '(gnus-default-article-saver (quote gnus-summary-save-in-file))

> and remove images from the cache when the buffer they were displayed
> in is killed (which wouldn't capture the case when a buffer is reused;
> I'm not sure what Gnus does, perhaps someone else knows.).

Apparently clear-image-cache is not being fired when expected.

> Daniel, could you please try with lower values for
> image-cache-eviction-delay, and see if that suffices?

I set it from 1800 to 18 and it did not help.

--
Daniel Ortmann, 2414 30 Av NW, #D, Rochester, MN 55901
address@hidden (h)   / 507.288.7732 (h)