Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: isearch C-o patch (post-freeze resubmission)
Date: 30 Nov 2001 17:54:33 -0600

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
> > I've committed the new `isearch-yank-char' function to isearch.el;
> > this feature is similar to C-w and C-y in isearch, except it yanks
> > just one char at a time, instead of a word or a whole line.
> >
> > So could other people who use use complex input systems please give
> > this a try and see what you think?
>
> I think it is a very useful feature - which I've missed many times!
>
> However, I would much rather change the behaviour of C-w so that it
> copies a `word' if it is on a `word character' and a single character
> otherwise.  Then I could C-w C-w C-w to copy  word+=  into the
> minibuffer  (and use backspace if I got too much).

Yes, fixing forward-word would solve many of the instances, but not
all.  Remember, it is not necessarily the case that when a char is
complex to input, it is a word in that language.  It may still be a
char and not a word. :-)

The other factor is that making forward-word more sophisticated is
much harder to implement.

(See http://www.red-bean.com/kfogel/isearch-thread.html for some past
discussion about it.)

-K