Re: I have committed changes to control fringe widths.

From: Harald . Maier . BW
Subject: Re: I have committed changes to control fringe widths.
Date: 01 Dec 2001 10:22:18 +0000

Hello Kim,

I did the test under w2k and it looks really good. Please see below my
observations. To get it work I had to uncomment the Qleft_fringe and
Qright_fringe in windows.c. The two variables are now duplicate
defined.

Harald

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I have just committed the changes to control the fringe widths.
> The new parameters are described in NEWS.
>
> I have only tested the changes on X, as I failed to find a windows
> system with the necessary compiler and tools to build an NTemacs.
> The mac port hasn't been tested either.
>
> I would appreciate feedback on this from someone who can build the
> windows or mac version.
>
> Please try things like:
>
>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '((left-fringe . 0) (right-fringe . 0)))

Ugly, but works :).

>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '((left-fringe . -8) (right-fringe . nil)))

If no fringes then it restores the fringes as it looked by default.

>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '((left-fringe . nil) (right-fringe . -8)))

If no fringes then it restores the fringes as it looked by default.

>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '((left-fringe . 20) (right-fringe . 30)))

Works, I observed wider fringes.

>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '((left-fringe . nil) (right-fringe . nil)))

Nice. The default fringes.

> Please also try
>
>         (setq indicate-empty-lines t)
>
> to test the new 'end of buffer' bitmap. It should fill the left fringe
> with a lot of small dashes (instead of the old small squares).

Works fine.