Splash screen and server-start

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Splash screen and server-start
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:45:18 +0100

Hi,

I have

(server-start)

in my .emacs.el. This prevents me from seeing the splash screen at all.  It
is cause by Richard's change:

2001-11-24  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>

        * startup.el (command-line-1): Don't do startup screen
        if a subprocess is running.  Call the startup screen buffer
        "GNU Emacs".  Make a special mode-line-format for it.

I do not thing we should leave it as it is right now¹.  Richard, can you
please tell me, what were the reasons for this change? Can we make it other
way around? If the system administrator or creator of the distribution will
include similar command into site files, (new) users could not read
valuable information we put in splash screen.

Footnotes:
¹  Especially if we plan to include gnuserv as the core functionality.
--
Pavel Janík

/*
 *   Should be panic but... (Why are BSD people panic obsessed ??)
 */
                  -- 2.0.38 net/ipv4/ip_fw.c