Re: table.el

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:56:54 +0100

Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, what is "lexical binding"?  It concerns me.  Does it change the
> fundamental rule in emacs lisp programming by obsoleting the dynamic
> binding?

Well, an implementation of lexical binding could stipulate that
variables defined with defvar (and friends) are always bound
dynamically.

So you can still do

    (let ((case-fold-search nil))
      ..some.code.here..)

But for the variables _not_ defined via defvar, the binding would be
lexical.  So for example:

    (let ((x 1))
      (some-func))

With the current `let', x would be bound to 1 while some-func is
executing.  With lexical binding, x would be unbound in the body of
some-func.  (This assumes that x is not defined with defvar,
naturally.)

It took me some time to come to grips with this.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)